Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gain…Losing Self to Gain Christ

Last month some girls and I at church decided we wanted to start getting together every month with the rest of the girls in our youth group to study God’s Word together. Every month we pick a chapter to read throughout the month and then get together to discuss it.

We call it “Gain…losing self to gain Christ.”

This past month’s reading was Philippians 3 so I decided I would share with you what I got from it this month.

I have a few questions that I used to study with so I’ll be sharing through my answer to the questions.
What does God value?
  • “…rejoice in the Lord.” (Philippians 3:1) – God values the joy we find in Him.
  • “and put no confidence in the flesh” (Philippians 3:3) – God values our confidence in Him alone.
  • “because Jesus Christ has made me His own” (Philippians 3:12) – God values us.

What is God revealing in these verses?

- Jesus should be our goal. We should make it our goal to be like Him and press on to achieve it. Everything on this earth should be counted as loss, rubbish, for “our citizenship is in heaven” (Philippians 3:20)


One of the verses that really stuck out to me as I would read was verse 12:

“Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me His own.” –Philippians 3:12

Too many times we take for granted that Christ has made us His own. Christ deserves more than we give Him. Many times we don’t strain to become like Jesus. We don’t always give our everything. We don’t always give Christ everything He deserves.

Our main goal in life should be to strain forward to become like Jesus.

Although there is so much more I could share I’ll close with this verse…

“Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ” –Philippians 3:8

3 comments :

  1. Ah this is such a good reminder that I so needed to hear today. Thank you so much!

    Also, I went ahead and added your link to a blog that I'm fixing to launch. If that's not ok, just let me know, but I figured everyone loves a little linky love, ha :)

    ~Hannah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yeah, that's fine! I can't wait to see the new blog!! :)

    Haley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!! Keep on living for Him and you will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete