Monday, September 17, 2012

Where Are You, God?

Have you ever wondered where the God of the Bible is? What has happened to all of the amazing miracles we read about in the Bible?

But if you ask me, that’s not the question we need to be asking. The Bible clearly states that our God does not change.

"For I the Lord do not change.” –Malachi 3:6

So what are we to think then?

I think we should change our question from “Where is the God of the Bible?” to “Where is the faith of the people in the Bible?”

Just think of the many people we have read about in the Bible. The people who had such faith.

Take Abraham…God told Abraham to do a lot of hard things. Can you imagine leaving your home and having no idea where you are going? That is what happened to Abraham. Can you imagine laying your son, you’re one and only son, down on the alter to sacrifice him? That is what happened to Abraham. And yet he did it all in faith. When his son asked where the lamb for the sacrifice was Abraham told him “God will provide.” And He did…God provided at just the right time.

Too often we doubt. Too many times we pray wondering if God will answer. Or deep down we know He will answer, but we think that our request is so big that His answer will be no.

As I was reading in James 1 the other day these verses really stuck out to me, specifically the last part…

“But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord.” –James 1:6-7

Seriously? We believe that such an awesome God with whom all things are possible will not answer us? That He will leave us hanging?

When I read that verse I was reminded of a story in Mark where a father has brought his child to Jesus, requesting that if He can Jesus would heal him.

“And Jesus said to him, ‘"If you can!"All things are possible for one who believes.’ Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’” –Mark 9:23-24

And that should be our prayer…

Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!

Cry out to God…

Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!


No comments :

Post a Comment