Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Full and Overflowing

“But whatever gain I had I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.
For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.”
~Philippians 3:7-8

IMG_2970W

Have you ever been afraid to let go of something and give it to God? Maybe it was a relationship, a big decision, hurt, success…or maybe you have been afraid to let go of everything.

Many times we find ourselves with clenched fists. We hold on tightly to certain areas of our life because we are afraid to let go and give it to God. Often it’s because we don’t believe we can trust God with the situation. Maybe we even realize that what we are holding onto is not good for us, and that opening up our hands to God would mean He will take it from us. We feel like we will lose.
I have felt the very same way recently. I was too afraid to open my hands to God’s will because I knew of an area in my life that I would have to let go of. But I was too afraid to let go because it felt good to hold onto, yet by not letting go I felt miserable at the same time.

I finally reached the point where I had to empty myself. I had to open my hands and release everything to God and tell Him that with His help I wanted to surrender all. I can’t surrender everything without Him, it’s impossible. I lost what I had been holding onto, I knew I would because I knew it wasn’t right. Before surrender I had felt like I was losing, but I didn’t realize that in losing I would actually gain something so much better…

I gained Christ. His presence in my life is so much stronger now. I can speak to Him and not feel as if I have built a wall that is blocking me from fully enjoying Him.

I gained Christ’s blessings. I have been blessed in unexpected ways recently. One specific way I didn’t even ask for, it was unexpected, but left me feeling joyful and blessed. I’ve watched God answer prayers. I have seen Him begin to work in a way that I never expected to happen. Yes, it was something I prayed for…but as I prayed it felt hopeless. It felt that what I was asking for was nearly impossible. I knew God was a God who makes the impossible possible, yet I doubted my prayer would be answered. But He is answering. He is the God who makes the impossible possible.

I gained peace and joy. The area I mentioned I was holding onto before made me feel happy at times, but I was also miserable deep inside. Since letting go I have become free and can now experience the joy and peace that God so longs, and so loves, to offer me.

I have found that it is not until you let go, until you empty yourself, that you are truly free. As we hold onto things we often feel in control, but giving God control is so much better. After all, He is the only One who knows your past, present, and future.

IMG_2991W 

When we let go and empty ourselves of our desires, of our control, we find that God fills us with His desires and pours in us His blessings until we are
full and overflowing.

2 comments :

  1. This post us such a good reminder for me today! And the pictures are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you wrote and the pictures are amazing!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete