Monday, December 22, 2014

Peace is a Person


From the gorgeous piano music, to the choir echoing the proclamation of "Peace on Earth," I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day by Casting Crowns has quickly become one of my favorite songs this Christmas season (I recommend you listen to it). 

As I was riding down the highway listening to it recently I realized, peace was on Earth, but not in the way I usually think of peace. Peace came in the form of a person, Jesus. I know this might seem very obvious, but I know that at least for me I tend to think of peace as a feeling. When thinking of "peace on Earth" I often think of a world without wars and violence; an earth like that would be peaceful. In this mindset it's easy to wonder about songs and Christmas messages that proclaim peace when all you have to do is turn on the news to see that peace definitely is not ruling the earth. 

I remember my mom telling me when I was younger that "Peace is a person"... that person is Christ. Over 2,000 years ago peace came to earth in the form of a baby, lived among men for about 33 years, then ascended into heaven. But peace isn't gone because Christ left believers the gift of the Holy Spirit. He provides all those who have believed on the name of Jesus as their Lord and Savior with a peace that is beyond understanding. I wrote about the first time I felt true peace in my redemption story that you can read here

"And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body." -Colossians 3:14

It's easy to focus on worldly events or the everyday events in our own lives and forget about the peace that Christ freely offers us. This Christmas season, and entering into a new year, remember Paul's plea to the Colossians to let Christ's peace rule in their hearts. No matter the events of the world, the grades you receive, or the way your plans turn out, remember the peace that God sent so long ago that still affects you today because He loved you even then. 

1 comment :