Monday, February 9, 2015

The Roller Coaster Called Life


I love roller coasters. I love the thrill of the ups and downs and twists and turns. The only downside is the too-quick ride compared to the hour-long lines. Physical roller coasters are great, but the roller coaster called life is a different story. Don't get me wrong, I love my life. But sometimes I wish my roller coaster was more of the kind for kids, tiny hills instead of major ups and downs (sometimes totally upside down). I've been feeling that for a long time. I grow weary of a life where everything seems to be constantly changing, causing my emotions to go from high to low back to high then back to low in a short span of time. But the ups and downs stretch me; they grow me into a stronger person.

"Maybe He's stretching you."

Stretching me? That's exactly what I prayed for. I found myself sitting in tears talking to my dad, and I remembered another time I sat in tears. Only about a month ago I prayed that God would stretch me in this new year and I talked about it here on my blog, encouraging you to pray that prayer. I told you I knew how scary it was to say those words because we all know stretching can mean heartache, but I also reminded you that it would be worth it.

Sure enough, my subtle fear came true...stretching has caused heartache and an emotional roller coaster ride. But highs and lows are all apart of being stretched. The surprising thing? I wouldn't trade it for the world.

“You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.” - Corrie Ten Boom

The roller coaster ride brings me closer to God as I learn to rest in His love instead of other things. I prayed that prayer not only knowing of the possible heartache, but also that being stretched by God would grow me closer to Him...and that matters more to me than anything. In believing, Christ gives me the strength to pray those words. Whether or not I pray to be stretched, life is going to be a roller coaster ride. But I find that God is constant and worth it despite it all. As life carries my emotions up and down, God stays the same. He is never changing. He is always faithful. 

God is constant.

No comments :

Post a Comment