Monday, March 9, 2015

Prayer: Least Important to Most Important (Part 3)



There was once a woman, a widow. She pleaded with the judge in her area to please, free her from her adversary. He refused, but this woman was persistent. The persistent widow. She came to the judge over and over and over until finally, he helped her.

"And He told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart." 
-Luke 18:1

There's not much else I can add. Jesus told this parable as an encouragement to never give up hope. The judge the widow went to was not a God-fearing man and Jesus adds after, "And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to Him day and night? Will He delay long over them? I tell you, He will give justice to them speedily" (Luke 18:7). God used this story as an encouragement to me in a time of my life when I wanted something. It seemed as if God was opening a door for my family and I was very eager and excited to walk through it so at this time I kept the persistent widow in mind. God answered quickly and closed the door, but He prepared me for it and now years later I see why and am thankful He closed it. Whether God says yes, no, or maybe, He proves over and over that His timing is perfect. So don't lose heart, because He will answer. Another similar story is the one of Jacob wrestling with God. As he was wrestling Jacob said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me" (Genesis 32:26). This is another verse I've clung to at times of persistent prayer. I'll write the reference on my wrist as a reminder to not give up praying.

So today remember this: stay persistent, don't lose heart, and cling to the hope God promises.


No comments :

Post a Comment